Hello-hello! We’re getting our writer brain juices flowing with some cool prompts. Grab your favorite drink, along with your journal or writing program of choice, and join the tea party!
Today’s writing prompts are: gallery (topic) and amnesia (trope)!
- A painter fills his house with paintings to help him remember the things he knows he won’t soon, as his memory is starting to fail him. When it becomes full-blown amnesia, he thinks he is in a museum and marvels at the beauty around him. Genres: probably angst and literary fiction
- Two vampire lovers go to a gallery to see a portrait they had commissioned hundreds of years ago when one of them gets bumped on the head and has amnesia. Genre: Romance, either comedy or angst
- Photographer with amnesia becomes famous for breathtaking photographs she’s taken that remind her of something that she can’t quite put her finger on. The night of her gallery’s grand opening, she sees all her pictures together and her memory returns: they’re all reminders of the love of her life. Genre: romance, maybe a friends-to-lovers if the love of her life is actually her longtime friend and gallery curator who never knew she felt that way.
- (Taking liberties that Alzheimer’s counts as amnesia) An artist and her mother tour a gallery. The mother has Alzheimer’s, and each painting is a story of her life. The artist takes her through every portrait and recalls the stories associated with each, hoping to reignite a spark in her mother, if only for a moment. Genre: mother/daughter love? Probably also a tragedy, just saying.
- A newly turned zombie wanders the halls of a gallery even as the other zombies trudge out to find their next living target. A painting catches her eye. As she takes in the joyful scene, the zombie’s eyes leak. She throws back her head to roar in inexplicable pain until the feelings simply stop and all that’s left is hunger. She leaves the gallery to eat. Genre: horror.
- When her husband is injured on their honeymoon and loses his memory, a woman teams up with her fun-loving in-laws to turn his childhood home into a gallery of photographed memories—from diapered shenanigans to a sparkling diamond engagement ring. Genre: romance (of the childhood friends to lovers variety).
Did the prompts give you any ideas?
We hope you’re off to write something spectacular! Remember to say hi in a comment below or find us on Twitter @jaamwriting!